This month we are working with Tiamat, the primordial dragon mother of the life-giving waters. As we create the Black Sacred Candle as a beacon to call to her, we are calling to she who is fierce and nurturing. Tiamat is one who has the energy of being steady upon the waves and the wind. It is with this energy, calling it in, that we are reminded:
She is with us no matter where we may roam with the wings she gave us.
That fire in our hearts and eyes is born of the dragon mother and all of us have it.
The Black Sacred Candle
The Black Sacred Candle this month is not only to protect your magic and space, but to call to the surface of our inner space this sacred fire of the sea. Tiamat is an ally of understanding the balance of fire and water, their properties of creation and destruction. This connection is important to our craft, the knowing of ourselves, and to the knowing of the world around us. We all carry this fire but drawing it to the surface in a society that says this fire is unacceptable can be a challenge. The Black Sacred Candle can help.
Never created a Black Sacred Candle? We have you covered! Learn how in this free three-part series.
- Dirt from your space
- Dragon’s Blood Resin
- Oak (I used essence, but choose your method)
- Olive oil
Additional Items Needed:
- Small dish with salt
- Aluminum foil
- Mortar and Pestle
- Take a piece of aluminum foil (large enough to wrap your candle in) and place it on your workspace.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Place the Candle on the small dish with salt
- In the mortar and pestle, grind up the Dragon’s Blood resin, sage, add a little of the dirt and the oak.
- Lay the candle on the aluminum foil and add a little olive oil to the candle.
- Sprinkle your ground mix over the candle and a little to the left and right of it.
- Roll the candle to the left and the right to cover it in your mix.
- Wrap the candle and place in the oven. DO NOT LEAVE THE KITCHEN (lesson learned the hard way), turn your candle every 2 minutes (this took me about 12 minutes total).
Caution: Please make sure there are no large chunks of plant material as these can be dangerous or ‘pop’ during candle burning. As always, please abide by all fire safety rules.
Each day light the candle for a few minutes, and use this chant to call to Tiamat:
Tiamat, I call to you
Mother of the Sea
I seek upon your wings
The lessons you bring for me
A candle and a key, With Darkest Gratitude,
Kaycee & Ivy
Want to learn more about what is going on Dark Goddesses Collective?
Want to see us in person? We are honored, inspired, and full of gratitude in announcing our workshop acceptance at Mystic South this year! Come see us!
Featured Image Credit: Photo by Paz shots from Pexels